Final Update: Alex Adventures Abroad
Welcome to my last update about my adventures abroad in Sydney, Australia! After an exciting five months, I'll be heading back to the United States on Monday. Looking back on my semester abroad, it really does seem like I arrived in Sydney about a week ago. But I guess that it's time for my next adventure now!
Leaving Sydney is definitely bittersweet. I'll miss all of my adventures, but I'm really excited to reunite with family and friends back in the United States. See you all soon!
Week #21: The Study Abroad Wrap-Up Begins
Once June hit, I knew that it was time to start facing reality: my study abroad was almost over. At first, it was strange. Studying abroad has been something that I've been looking forward to for years, and closing this chapter of my life felt surreal. Mostly, because I didn't know when I'd have this much free time and this many chances to explore the world again. But I soon realized that if I learned one thing from study abroad, I know that this won't be my last time traveling. While I've checked off so many places on my bucket list during my semester abroad, my bucket list grew even more while I was here. And I know that I'll be back in Australia one day!
Some of the highlights of my week included...
- Saying goodbye to one of my friends through a night of happy hour on Bondi Beach, dinner with Joe Jonas, and frozen yogurt at Anita
- Walking around the Sydney Harbour and experiencing Vivid — a 23-day festival of light, music, and ideas
- Brunching at one of my new favorite brekkie spots in Sydney — Shuk
- Exploring a new art exhibit at Carriageworks
Unfortunately, while I still had some free time, the week was also spent completing all of the final assignments for my classes. However, in a way, it was nice to hit the books again!
Week #22: Final Exams and Farewells
Then it was my last week! Although the weather was less than ideal (think: cold and rainy), I was determined to make the most of Sydney before I headed back to the United States. And I believe that I did just that.
The week was full of final exams and farewells. And while I wouldn't say that final exams and farewells are highlights in my book, some memorable events of my week included...
- Saying goodbye to the team at General Assembly - for my final day, the team put together a farewell lunch and gave me some Australian accessories to bring back to the United States. It was yet another bittersweet goodbye for me.
- Saying goodbye to the team at F45 — the gym that I've been going to since the beginning of study abroad. They were all as excited as I was about achieving my goal of gaining 15 pounds while studying abroad!
- Saying goodbye to all my friends from study abroad at the Shangri-La Hotel on the Sydney Harbour — many toasts were made and many more memories weres shared
I'm currently writing this update while packing up to head back, but I don't think I've fully wrapped my brain around leaving just yet. However, I know once I board the plane, it'll all start to feel real.
All in all, I couldn't be more grateful for my five months studying abroad in Australia. Not to sound cliché, but study abroad changed me for the better and I can't way to take what I learned here back to the United States.
Summer in Charlotte and senior year, here I come!